Position: Training and Technical Assistance Staff and/or Senior Attorneys
Status: Exempt, full-time preferred (but FTE may be flexible)
Location: Fully remote (option to work hybrid* in-person in Portland, OR, or Boston, MA, if preferred)
Do you enjoy problem solving legal issues? Are you inspired to support lawyers and advocates serving survivors of gender-based violence? If yes, come join our Training and Technical Assistance (TTA) team!
The VRLC is a nonprofit law center that provides free legal services to sexual assault survivors in Massachusetts and Oregon, and national training, mentoring, resources, and other support for lawyers, advocates, university administrators, and other professionals. The VRLC’s mission is to provide legal representation to victims of rape and sexual assault to help rebuild their lives, and to promote a national movement committed to seeking justice for every rape and sexual assault victim.
VRLC is looking to hire two TTA attorneys who enjoy responding to lawyers and legal advocates’ legal queries and training needs. This rewarding and engaging work includes conducting legal research, creating and delivering in-person and online legal trainings that reflect innovative approaches to adult learning, developing resources and tools, and building collaborative relationships with lawyers and legal advocates around the country to support their work serving survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking, and dating violence.
Each position will be filled by a lawyer with a strong work ethic, a passion for mission-driven work, a desire to support the work of lawyers and legal advocates nationally, and a commitment to VRLC’s efforts to promote a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. To be successful, applicants must support the VRLC’s mission and commitment to survivor-centered services and to serving people from marginalized and underserved communities. People of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Note that these are fully remote positions (with the option to work in-person from our Oregon or Mass. offices).
- Mentor, advise and consult with lawyers representing sexual assault survivors who receive (or are eligible for) funding from the U.S. DOJ’s Office on Violence Against Women (OVW)
- Mentor, advise, and consult with community-based legal advocates serving survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, dating violence, and human trafficking
- Create, update, and deliver survivor-centered, culturally responsive, in-person and web-based trainings for attorneys and legal advocates
- Develop tools and resources and conduct legal research to support lawyers and legal advocates serving survivors of gender-based violence
- Track and maintain data; assist with grant reporting
- Help develop and implement a communication and outreach plan promoting VRLC’s training and technical assistance services to OVW grantees
- Ensure timely completion of project deliverables
- Other duties as assigned
- At least three (3) years of experience representing survivors of gender-based violence or equivalent expertise
- Experience designing, creating, and delivering in-person and web-based trainings
- Experience creating written resources
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, prioritize tasks, balance short- and long-term project deliverables, balance multiple tasks, and meet project deadlines
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Salary: $58,000-$72,000 /year depending on experience
*VRLC has a Hybrid Work Policy that is supportive and inclusive of employees fulfilling their job responsibilities in-office, remotely, or at another location that helps them be most productive while meeting the needs of the VRLC. Note, however, that this position may be filled on a fully remote basis.
Benefits: The VRLC provides exceptional paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave benefits; health and dental insurance; long & short-term disability and life insurance; 403b plan with employer match; and a caring and engaging work environment.