UX Research Leader
Seattle, WA | San Francisco, CA | Remote, US
Our UX Research team is designing for the global diversity of human needs, which requires us to deeply understand the behaviors of the people behind them. Facebook Inc. UX researchers tackle some of the most complex challenges to gain deeper insights into how people interact with each other and the world around them, and work collaboratively to contribute new ideas to products that impact the experiences of billions of people on a global scale. We employ a variety of qualitative and quantitative methods to accomplish our goals, including surveys, focus groups, field studies, usability tests, and 1:1 interviews.
We value a diverse range of perspectives and stem from many different backgrounds—geographically, culturally, educationally, philosophically. We come from industry and academia, with roots in anthropology, design research, economics, HCI, human factors, market research, political science, sociology, social computing, and social psychology, among others. Facebook Inc. is looking for a UX Research Leader with research, communication and people management skills.
Facebook Inc. is a diverse set of products – it’s ripe for research. But figuring out the right research, the appropriate involvement, and the ideal touch points is a delicate balance, especially in a process-averse culture. What makes a good candidate? Someone who has exceptional research skills, but who also understands the balance between scrappy and rigor, and ultimately how research translates into design and product decisions. It’s not enough to answer interesting questions about user behavior; our team focuses on impact. You will oversee a team of world-class researchers across a key product vertical, and across multiple research disciplines.
UX Research Leader Responsibilities
- Manage a research team that is large in size and/or complexity.
- Manage completely independently, including other managers.
- Identify problems and provide solutions.
- Set clear expectations and goals for individuals and the team.
- Communicate clearly and effectively across all organizational levels.
- Make staffing decisions based on business priorities, both short term and long term, as well as team strengths and motivation.
- Adjust management style to effectively get the most out of each team member.
- Shape team strategy, identifying risks and prioritizing opportunities.
- Identify gaps and solutions for future growth and scale within the team or organization, including system, product, function, partnership, culture and/or organization opportunities.
- Responsible for the quality of the team, including coaching, growing IC’s and managers (if applicable) and coaching under-performing team members.
- Build a diverse and an inclusive environment across the team, model inclusive behaviors, and hold managers accountable.
- Give clear, actionable feedback on a timely basis.
- Partner with the recruiting organization to help deliver top talent.
- Drive team execution, culture, and process across the FB research community.
- Become a trusted, strategic partner to product stakeholders by communicating and demonstrating the value of user research, and by delivering insights that lead to demonstrable business value.
- Mentor other managers (research or cross functional) at their level or below, especially coaching first time managers and those managers new to Facebook Inc.
- Have a point of view about strategic decisions, using insights from the team. Understand how to influence stakeholders and leaders to implement the best ideas.
- Bachelor’s degree or significant experience conducting UX research with meaningful business impact
- 18+ years of experience conducting and/or studying research post-Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of experience directly managing, coaching and developing full-time researchers
- Experience directly managing across different research methodologies
- Experience directly conducting primary research (either qualitative or quantitative) end-to-end (i.e., designing, fielding, analyzing and reporting out data)
- Experience building teams over time through hiring, growing, and retaining high-performing researchers
- Experience building and setting research strategy that connects with business strategy
- Track record of translating research into business impact
- Experience working with a variety of cross functional peers and stakeholders (e.g., product managers, data scientists, designers, engineers, policy, communications, marketing)
- Graduate degree
- Experience with consumer products, consumer insights, or product development
- 5+ years of UX research experience
- 1+ years experience managing managers