The West Bengal government has announced lately that they are offering the students of West Bengal a good amount of scholarship for their higher studies. Moreover, these scholarship packages are only for the students who are local residents of West Bengal and desire to continue their higher education in West Bengal. The government offered a number of scholarships as per the requirement of candidates. So if you are among those who desire to apply for the scholarship offered by the West Bengal government then you need to read this article.
West Bengal Scholarship 2021
These kinds of programs by the government initiate and encourage the students to continue their studies and particularly to those bright students who are not capable of studying in institutes like IIT, IISER, NIT, and many more.
Registration, Eligibility, Application Form and How to Apply
Firstly, West Bengal Scholarship is only applicable for the students who carry the domicile certificates of West Bengal. The scholarship scheme basically focuses on the underprivileged students of the state. These scholarships are run and governed by the government of West Bengal and its subsidiary departments. Five of such scholarships have been announced with all having different scholarship amounts, procedures, application, and submission dates, etc.
Through the means of these scholarships, students will also get the possibility to study in some of the reputed institutes of West Bengal like IIM Kolkata, IIT Kharagpur, IISER Kolkata, and NIT Durgapur.
List of Scholarships in West Bengal
The listed scholarships are:
1. Swami Vivekananda Merit Cum Means Scholarship Minorities.
2. Bigyani Kanya Medha Britti Scholarship.
3. West Bengal Post Matric Scholarship SC/ST/OBC
4. West Bengal Pre Matric Scholarship SC/ST students
5. Hindi Scholarship Scheme, West Bengal.
6. Oasis Scholarship
7. Aikyashree Scholarship
West Bengal Scholarship Registration
Before applying for the scholarship the student needs to go through all the eligibility criteria. The eligibility prerequisites are different for each of the scholarship programs, registration dates and formats are also different. The students can complete the registration process through the online portal.
The registration has to be completed before the final date of submission.
The eligibility criteria for all programs are different from each other. But the most important and common one out of all of them is that he or she should have the domicile certificate of West Bengal.
Swami Vivekananda Merit Cum Means Scholarship Minorities (SVMCM)
This scholarship is the most popular one, merit cum means based scholarship for the students of West Bengal. This scholarship involves monthly payments of 8000 Rupees (eight thousand rupees) to the selected scholarship candidates. This amount is being provided by the government of West Bengal. The candidates will have to apply between July to September.
1. Must be a resident of West Bengal or possess a domicile certificate of West Bengal.
2. The applicant needs to have scored a minimum of 75% marks in class 10th.
3. The applicant needs to have scored a minimum of 75% marks in class 12th.
4. The candidate needs to have a minimum of 55% marks in their graduation (engineering)
5. If the candidate is at the P.G. level then 53% marks minimum is required.
6. The annual income of the family should not exceed 2.5 lacs.
Bigyani Kanya Medha Britti Scholarship
This scholarship has been offered by the Jagadis Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS), Kolkata.
This is an every year plan scheme where students can apply between May to July. The Bigyani Kanya Medha Briti Scholarship is only applicable to female students. This scholarship is applicable for all girls presently pursuing an undergraduate in engineering/science/medicine.
The purpose of this scholarship is to empower women, promote education rights and conserve their talent.
The selected candidates will get monthly payments of 3000 rupees scholarship amount.
1. The candidate needs to have the domicile of West Bengal, who are from SC/ST/OBC category.
2. Students studying in 10th, 12th, graduation or post-graduation level are the only ones eligible for this scholarship program.
3. The annual household earnings must not exceed 2.5 lacs. (for SC and ST)
4. The annual income for OBC families must not exceed 1 lac.
West Bengal Pre Matric Scholarship for SC/ST Students
The desired students can apply for this scholarship program between the months of October to December, only through the backward classes’ welfare department, West Bengal. This scholarship is only applicable for the students belonging from SC or ST category. Students presently in class ninth and tenth are applicable. The selected candidates will get a monthly payment of Rs. 150/- to Rs. 750/- and an extra Ad Hoc grant of Rs. 1000/- yearly.
1. The candidate needs to have a domicile certificate of west Bengal
2. The annual income of the family should not exceed 2 lacs.
3. The student should be studying in class 9th or 10th.
West Bengal Post Matric Scholarship SC/ST/OBC
Candidates can apply for this scholarship between the months of September to November. This scholarship is also being funded by the Backward Classes Welfare Department, West Bengal. This scholarship is valid for the students who have completed their matriculation or post-secondary level. The student needs to belong from the SC /ST/OBC category.
The selected candidates will receive a monthly payment of 160 rupees/- to 1200 rupees/- as the scholarship amount.
1. The candidate should have the domicile of West Bengal.
2. The applicant needs to be in 11th, 12th, graduation or post graduation level.
3. The family income of the candidate (sc/st) has to be between two to 2.5 lacs.
4. The annual income of the OBC candidate’s family has to be less than 1 lac.
Hindi Scholarship Scheme, West Bengal
The application time for the Hindi Scholarship scheme is between October to December. This scholarship scheme is conducted by the department of higher education, science and technology, and biotechnology. This scholarship scheme can be applied offline as well. The primary purpose of this scholarship is to encourage the Hindi language in the Non-Hindi speaking states like West Bengal.
This scheme involves financial security for higher studies which is applicable till the research level as well. All the students who have completed their matriculation, graduation or post graduation can apply for this.
The selected candidates will receive a scholarship amount between 3000 rupees- to 10000 rupees every month, from the government of West Bengal.
• The student or candidate who desires to apply has to be a resident of West Bengal, i.e., must carry a domicile certificate.
• The candidate should have secured 60 per cent or more in their previous qualifying course.
• Hindi needs to be one of the compulsory subjects.
• The candidate needs to belong from a non-Hindi speaking state.
This scholarship is hosted by West Bengal Minority Development and Finance Corporation for the minority communities residing in the state. Such communities include Muslims, Christians, Jains, Parsis, Sikh and Buddhists.
The eligible candidates can apply for this scholarship from August to February. This scholarship offers financial grants to the meritorious students belonging to the minority communities from Class I to Ph.D. level.
The scholarship amount to at least Rs. 1100/- is being granted per year. The amount is subject to change according to the educational level of the student.
• The student needs to bear a Domicile Certificate of West Bengal.
• The student needs to have qualified the previous examination with at least 50% of marks.
• The annual income of the family should not exceed 2.5 lacs.
How to apply for West Bengal Scholarship 2020-21
Once the candidates clearly pass on the eligibility conditions, then they can apply through the online website. Except for the Hindi scholarship, the application should be filled and submitted before the last mentioned dates.
Step by step details for registration is given below;
• Step 1: Open the official site.
• Step 2: Click on the registration option.
• Step 3: Choose the registration category.
• Step 4: The registration form will show up on the screen.
• Step 5: Fill the form by providing all the required details.
• Step6: Then click on register.
• Step 7: After the applicant will get a password and application id.
• Step 8: Download the registration slip
• Step 9: Now, go to the home page and fill the applicant login details along with the password provided and captcha code.
• Step 10: Click on the login
• Step 11: Fill all the necessary details; upload scanned images of photograph and signature of the respective candidate.
• Step 12: Save and continue
• Step 13: Personal details form will appear, fill the details and upload the documents requested for.
• Step 14: Click on the submit button.