Title: Legal Counsel
Are you ready to put the days of billable hours behind you? Do you enjoy diligence and analyzing legal documents to uncover critical information? Are you excited about collaborating with entrepreneurs who are working to achieve health moonshots? Are you looking to go in-house for a mission-driven organization, where no two days are the same? If you answered YES to all these questions, we want to meet you!
StartUp Health is hiring an in-house counsel to play a key role in all aspects of our dynamic organization as well as in growing our legal group. Reporting to our Chief Strategy & Compliance Officer, this role position will incorporate a diverse spectrum of legal matters including performing prospective company diligence, coaching portfolio company CEOs on legal matters (currently 275 active companies from 28 countries), and supporting StartUp Health s corporate legal needs. This role is a unique opportunity for your work to be professionally and personally rewarding, contributing to our mission to improve the health and wellbeing of everyone in the world.
- Collaborate with Chief Strategy & Compliance Officer on corporate and portfolio legal matters including diligence, M&A, financing, term sheets, vendor contracts, employment agreements, and intellectual property
- Perform substantive document review and provide valuable insight/feedback on corporate structure, legal documents, shareholder and financing agreements of prospective and active portfolio companies
- Provide guidance to portfolio company leadership on legal implications of all matters pertaining to the operations of a business, including fundraising and acquisitions, risk management, employment matters, corporate governance issues, regulatory matters, and intellectual property
- Participate in and lead diligence calls with prospective portfolio companies (and outside counsel as needed)
- Organize incoming legal requests from the team, partners, and portfolio company leadership and ensure project deadlines are met according to priority
- Manage legal document organization and maintenance required by the Company for all portfolio companies
- Keep up-to-date on startup financing and legal trends and changes in healthcare law to best advise portfolio companies
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 3+ years of full-time corporate/finance/transactional legal experience, at a law firm or in-house
- JD from an accredited law school and Bar membership in good standing
- Digital health, early-stage company, venture capital, and/or IP experience a plus
- Strong attention to detail, critical thinking and analytical skills, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Energetic individual with a keen interest in both assisting with strategic issues and handling daily legal work
- Passionate about coaching entrepreneurs and comfortable interfacing with portfolio company leadership, outside counsel, and partners
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize work and manage a high volume workload with minimal supervision
- Active within the startup ecosystem through networking events, speaking engagements, etc.
- Comfortable using (and embracing) technology most law firms won t let you use like: Gmail, Google Drive, and other collaborative software
About StartUp Health:
At StartUp Health, we are impact-driven entrepreneurs and investors building a global army of thousands of Health Transformers collaborating to achieve health moonshots — from ending cancer and curing disease, like diabetes and Alzheimer s, to delivering quality care to everyone in the world regardless of location or income. We believe that investing in and supporting a diversified global portfolio of health moonshot companies is the key to improving the health and wellbeing of humanity, while also generating healthy financial returns for investors. Since 2012, we ve made more than 400 investments in companies across 27 countries, and currently have a portfolio of 260+ active companies.
We have a flexible, work-from-anywhere policy as our team is fully remote, with team members in NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Baltimore, and Philadelphia. We are open to candidates across the U.S. Benefits include health insurance and long-term disability coverage, 401k with employer matching, employee stock options, and generous time off policy including paid holidays.
Powered by JazzHR