Title: Senior Database Reliability Engineer, DBRE (Remote)
Location: United States
ABOUT THE ROLE
At Peloton, we treat Data as Product – a valuable asset and a critical piece of how we make decisions. The mission of the Datastores team is to ensure that Peloton has a reliable, secure, highly available and highly performant data persistence layer (databases and datastores) for application services in partnership with other engineering teams. Our core guiding principles are 1) Protect the data 2) Optimize for scale, speed and reliability 3) Eliminate toil
We are looking for a Senior Database Reliability Engineer (DBRE) to join our Datastores team to work on areas around data protection, automation around datastore provisioning, observability and performance insights related to datastores like PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Elasticache, Memcache, and graph databases. Some of the few challenges you will work on: How do we automate and eliminate toil by providing self-service datastore provisioning with Terraform and Backstage? How do we enable autoscaling of datastores as traffic increases during events like Turkey Burn? How do we enable autonomous teams to be self-sufficient in terms of managing datastores through observability metrics and query insights? How do we make Peloton truly global by supporting multi-regionalism at the data persistence layer?
YOUR DAILY IMPACT AT PELOTON
- Be a hands-on leader and domain expert with focus on delivery of small to large initiatives including guiding the team to make strategic technical decisions to enable delivery outcomes, set expectations with and maintain relationships with key partners
- Be directly responsible for maintaining and scaling our data persistence layer (runtime datastores and databases) in coordination with service owners to power a world-class fitness experience.
- Represent the datastores team where deep knowledge of our data persistence layer is needed – multi-functional work streams, Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) and Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
- Lead, coach, and mentor other engineers of diverse backgrounds in an autonomous, multi-functional team.
- Design, develop and operate business-critical backend systems with a focus on high availability, low latency and scalability.
- Implement self-service tooling and enhance the developer experience around databases as a service. We’re using industry-standard, cloud-native tech, which means easily transferable skills.
YOU BRING TO PELOTON
- At least 4-5 years of experience running PostgreSQL in production cloud environments (preferably AWS) along with exposure to datastores like Aurora, DynamoDB, Elasticache and Memcache
- Experience in designing, building and maintaining automation around infrastructure provisioning (preferably Terraform), data modeling, and developer tooling around query optimization, distributed systems and databases.
- Passion for building stable and secure systems management practices.
- You have a systematic problem-solving approach coupled with effective interpersonal skills and drive.
- You are able to apply your knowledge and experience in both structured and unstructured DB technologies to help improve our database offering.
- You are pragmatic without compromising on software quality and standards.
Peloton is the leading interactive fitness platform globally, with a passionate community of nearly 7 million Members in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, and Australia. Peloton makes fitness entertaining, approachable, effective, and convenient, while fostering social connections that motivate its Members to commit to their fitness journeys. An innovator at the nexus of fitness, technology, and media, Peloton reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform that seamlessly combines the best equipment, proprietary networked software, world-class streaming digital fitness and wellness content, and best-in-class fitness experts and Instructors..
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email: before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.