Title: Senior Staff Accountant
Location: Location To Be Determined
Chalkbeat, the nonprofit news organization covering the effort to improve schools for the almost 30 million children in America who live near or below the poverty line, is seeking a highly motivated Senior Accountant to assist with Chalkbeat’s day-to-day financial operations in accordance with standard accounting procedures. As a key member of the expanding finance team, the Senior Accountant will lead the ongoing grants management process in a nonprofit environment, creating internal improvements and helping in the building of strong systems to support Chalkbeat’s future growth.
Key responsibilities for this role include:
- Coordinate grant management process including: creating budgets for grant proposals, comprehensively setting up new grants, tracking spending against grant awards, preparing grant reports
- Lead grant strategy process including determining and implementing process improvements and planning agenda items
- Ensure an accurate, timely and complete recording and analysis of accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP and organizational accounting policies and procedures
- Perform general accounting functions in overseeing the accounts receivable process such as setting up new vendors and depositing cash receipts,
- Prepare monthly financial statement variance analysis and assist with forecasting
- Collaborates with Accounting Manager and Finance Leadership in the implementation and documentation of process improvements.
- Prepare and analyze various year-end reports in connection with the yearly audits and 990 filings
- Document all policies and procedures followed in the performance of the job to maintain an accounting manual on a current basis.
- Assist in reconciling balance sheet accounts for accuracy and investigate differences
- Track in-kind donations and pro bono services and record value in Intacct
- Coordinate annual budget construction and related ad hoc analysis
- Assist team leads in understanding their budgets and actual spending
- Manage Chalkbeat’s corporate credit card program, including setting up new accounts, training staff on credit card utilization, monitoring spending limits and closing out accounts
What background and skills do you have? (We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Seven years of accounting experience minimum required
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred; ideally experience at an organization with multiple sites or cost centers
- Knowledge of Intacct (a plus) or other accounting software (a must)
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial reporting and audit support
- Superior attention to detail, with excellent analytical skills
- Ability to follow policies and procedures
- Interpersonal skills for building relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Comfort working in a virtual environment, commitment to maintaining efficient, effective systems for a growing organization, and a view of finance as a positive support to our mission, not a bureaucratic obstacle to serving the needs of our team.
Ideally, you’d be based in one of the cities where Chalkbeat already has a presence: Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis, New York City, or Washington, D.C. However, working remotely is a possibility for the right candidate.
This is a full-time position with benefits. The salary for this position ranges from $75,000 to $85,000 commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package, including:
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- 20 days of PTO and a paid winter recess
- 401k matching program
- Paid parental leave
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations and marital statuses to apply.