Associate General Counsel, Platform
We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener – because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a can do attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase’s Product Legal team is looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced product counsel to join as Associate General Counsel, Product. This position will report to our Director & Associate General Counsel for Platform, and will be working on a variety of customer-facing products. This is a highly visible role throughout Coinbase, which will require you to build strong relationships with your teammates and business partners. You’ll be embedded with Coinbase product teams, and collaborate closely with product managers, engineers, UI/UX, and cross-department colleagues including privacy, regulatory and international counsel, Compliance and Finance. You’ll take a thought leadership role in advising our Product business on specific aspects of product development and implementation.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Provide full product life-cycle counseling for a variety of complex retail financial products. You will ensure product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, in close collaboration with colleagues in Legal and Compliance teams.
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction on novel digital currency, blockchain technology legal and regulatory issues.
- Lead complex U.S. and global cross-functional efforts, driving and ensuring alignment with internal stakeholders (Business Development/Sales, Product/Engineering, Compliance, Privacy, Finance, and more).
- Proactively solve process and other problems for the business as they plan and execute on an accelerated and aggressive global growth plan.
- Provide practical in depth analysis on legal issues and risks, complex products and company policies in a risk-tolerant, but compliance-oriented environment, including the impact on the company’s long-term strategy to business, compliance, and legal audiences.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Current license in a U.S. state. JD or equivalent with 10+ years of legal experience.
- Experience with start to finish product counseling at a top tier tech or fintech company.
- An understanding of and ability to articulate financial services laws, regulations and operating requirements applicable to retail products.
- Familiarity with the following laws and agencies a plus: money transmission laws, banking and payment services regulations, international remittance, global privacy regulations, data localization laws, securities regulations, sanctions laws, and CDA Section 230.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams, including Product, Engineering, Finance, Compliance, Security, and colleagues within Legal.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible. Get to yes approach in working with the business.
- Excellent judgment, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Experience owning projects from concept to finish.
- Team-oriented and collaborative approach
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $245,225 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Please note that for employees based in the US, Philippines, Canada or Singapore, if your role requires you to be present in a Coinbase office or if you choose to be physically present in a Coinbase office or sponsored location, you will be required to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 (as defined by applicable law). If you receive an offer, you will receive additional information about the grounds and process for an exemption.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
Benefits at Coinbase
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance covered at 100% for employees and 80% for dependents
- HSA plan with company seed
- Disability and Life Insurance
- 401(k) plan with company match
- $260 monthly Commuter Benefit
- Monthly Gym Benefit
- Volunteer Time Off
- Fertility Counseling and Benefits
- Learning and Development stipend