Freelance Editor – Outdoor Content & Collections (DACH/FR/NL)
Komoot is an app that lets you find, plan, and share adventures with the easy route planner. Driven by a desire to explore and powered by the outdoor community’s recommendations, it’s komoot’s mission to inspire great adventures, making them accessible to all. Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times—and with 30+ million users and 300,000 five-star reviews—komoot is on the way to becoming the most popular cycling and hiking app for people who love adventures worldwide.
Join our fully remote team of freelance editors and change the way people explore!
About the role
The backbone of komoot is a huge repository of route recommendations and outdoor tips —handpicked Highlights, popular Tours, and tailored Collections—built by passionate editors with plenty of local knowledge and a wealth of experience in their sports.
To help inspire our growing community with the best outdoor content, we’re looking to strengthen our existing editor teams in DACH, France, and the Netherlands. Applicants are not expected to cover all three markets but fit one of them.
This is a part-time, freelance, and fully remote position. Editors are most successful in this role when they can offer a time commitment of 12-30+ hours a week and are available for a longer-term working relationship.
What you will do
- Use your outdoor knowledge of the most popular official bike routes, hikes or trail runs to inspire our userbase
- Research and plan unique Tours on komoot, visualized with inspiring Highlights, to form the basis of your Collections
- Review, polish, and set up new Highlights on the komoot map to bring your content to life and help our users plan their adventures
- Create Collections following our topic roadmap based on official long-distance hikes, runs, and rides, or create Collections of exciting day Tours around popular outdoor destinations
- Write engaging and grammatically flawless intro copy, Tour descriptions, and Highlight tips to tell the story of your Collections, as well as to provide practical information
- Regularly review and edit existing Tour, Highlight, and Collection content to keep it accurate and looking fresh
- Set up Highlights and Collections for tourism, sport, and brand partners of komoot
- Support your country team with peer-proofreading and quality control
- Research images in our database as well as from different external sources to bring your content to life
- Help with ad-hoc content tasks
- content support for our Media, B2B, Marketing, and event teams
- localize the copy of relevant Collections written by our existing editors in other countries for our German, French or Dutch-speaking userbase
- quality check and prepare community Collections for our Discover Feed
Why you will love it
- You will utilize all of your greatest passions: the outdoors, researching, route-planning, and writing
- Your content will inspire millions of people, from seasoned outdoor lovers to novice hikers, runners, and cyclists, and they’ll help to establish our community in Europe further
- We encourage you to work from wherever you want, be that on a beach, in the mountains, from home, or anywhere that lies between the time zones UTC-1 and UTC+3
- Enjoy a creative and responsible role that offers a significant amount of flexibility!
The payment for this position works per task or Collection delivered. The average for a Collection that may take up to two days to complete is €300. The rate is the same, regardless of where you are based. You’ll need to be set up as a freelancer where you live
You will be successful in this position if
- You have in-depth expertise in MTB, cycling, hiking, or trail running routes that are located within at least one of the advertised markets: DACH (→ Germany, Austria, Switzerland), France, or the Netherlands
- You love planning routes for yourself and your peers, and you are often already using komoot to do so
- In your region(s), do you understand different access laws/countryside codes of conduct or know where to find this information
- You love to share your passion for the outdoors with like-minded people
- You are digitally minded and always adopt the latest tools to improve your efficiency
- You have an eye for the right images to illustrate your route content, plus you know what image resources to use and how to attribute these correctly
- You feel at home using Google Docs, project management tools, and content management systems
- You are available to work for komoot every week and for a more extended period
- You are fluent in English. Additionally, you must have native-level language skills in either: German, French or Dutch
- You can write inspirational and grammatically correct copy
- You are highly motivated, excited about taking on additional responsibilities, and are structured and target-oriented in your approach to tasks
- Experience with geographical databases, especially OpenStreetMap, will be a bonus