Position Title : JPO – Emergency Response Project Officer
Duty Station : Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : JPO, One year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 26 February 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), direct supervision of the Emergency Response Coordinator, and in close coordination with other relevant units, the successful candidate will support in general project support tasks including project planning, development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation, and reporting for the emergency programmes and humanitarian assistance activities in the Country Office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Participate in projects’ development, including preliminary research, narratives writing, budget planning, ensuring project’s compliance with IOM standards and donor requirements.
- Support the Emergency Response Coordinator in monitoring and evaluation, including reporting tasks on IOM projects, at national and regional level.
- Provide adequate information management on project related activities including visibility by providing regular updates, summaries, press releases and other relevant materials, in coordination with the supervisor and IOM’s Communication Team.
- As per donor requirements and IOM policy, prepare progress reports and support in the review of interim and final projects reports ensuring quality and timely submissions to donors.
- Assist in coordinating with other IOM units within the Country Office for a smooth implementation of all project activities.
- Assist in liaison activities with Government entities, other implementing partners, United Nations (UN) agencies and other stakeholders in the project’s target areas.
- Participate in seminars and other meetings as requested, providing administrative and logistical support as needed.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Coaching and learning elements
As an integral part of the IOM assignment the Junior Professional Officer will:
• Gain experience in a UN Organization, including management and international cooperation activities, as well as understanding the dynamics of regional and international initiatives and working groups.
• Gain experience in migration policies of the region and of relevant migration governance strategies and responses.
• Acquire detailed knowledge of the EU institutions and their functioning.
• Acquire in-depth knowledge of IOM operation and activities.
• Be able to draft and finalize reports, concept notes and project proposals.
• Gain experience in working with governmental, non-governmental and United Nations institutions.
• Enhance negotiation skills in a multilateral setting.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in drafting technical documents, preferably in an international setting;
• Experience in the field of humanitarian context and direct contact with affected communities;
• Experience in communication and liaison in an international setting.
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of from diverse backgrounds;
• Capacity to multitask and establish priorities;
• Excellent organization skills; analytical and creative thinking;
• Strong writing, communication and negotiation skills;
• Proficiently in using MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Previous applicants do not need to re-apply.
General criteria/requirements for candidates applying to this JPO vacancy:
- The maximum age is 32 years by 31.12.2022
- This post is open to Finnish nationals only.
- Basic knowledge of Finnish or Swedish languages is required.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
• Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
• The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances. Subject to certain
exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
• No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 26 February 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 17.02.2022 to 26.02.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: JPO 2022 02 (P) – JPO – Emergency Response Project Officer – Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Posting: Posting NC57361762 (57361762) Released