Title: Nursing Scientist
Location: United States – Remote
Shriners Children’s is the premier pediatric burn, orthopaedic, spinal cord injury, cleft lip and palate, and pediatric subspecialties medical center. We have an opportunity for a remote Nursing Scientist reporting into our Headquarters location.
The Nurse Scientist provides leadership, assistance, and support in developing, implementing, evaluating, enhancing, and maintaining a comprehensive nursing research and evidence-based practice (EBP) program across Shriners Children’s. Nursing research will enhance the quality and outcomes of pediatric care. The program will assist Shriners Children’s in becoming the best at transforming children’s lives and providing the highest quality care to children with neuromusculoskeletal conditions, burn injuries, and other special healthcare needs.
The Nurse Scientist is responsible for developing and leading the Nursing Research Council. The Nurse Scientist will assist nurses and healthcare professionals in allied health services to find, evaluate, and apply evidence and build toward supporting practitioners to identify gaps in evidence and engage in nursing research.
The Nurse Scientist will act as a contact for nurses and healthcare professionals in allied health services seeking information to participate in research and EBP. The Nurse Scientist will identify and advocate for opportunities to build nursing expertise in knowledge exchange and research utilization across the system. The Nurse Scientist will support collaboration between the nursing community and other interprofessional researchers conducting and utilizing research.
This position will assist Shriners Children’s leadership in achieving its research mission and strategic initiatives, will provide leadership for the day-to-day operations of the nursing research program, and coordinate strategies to enhance interprofessional communication and collaboration. The Nurse Scientist will participate in the evaluation of the program.
- Develop and lead the nursing research council.
- Provide research education and training to increase awareness of the importance of nursing and allied health services research and EBP for nurses and those in allied health services.
- Coach nurses and those in allied health services on EBP and how to conduct new research providing research resources and support leading to successful projects.
- Assist nurses and those in allied health services with research designs, methodologies, analysis, and writing research proposals, grants, presentations, and publications.
- Establish and maintain relationships with affiliate sites and academic institutions to support a pipeline of nurse scientists to meet the evolving needs of our healthcare system.
Conduct independent research in areas of interest.
- 5 years of nursing education and / or research required
- 2 years of experience conducting research preferred
- Doctorate (PhD, DNP, EdD, DNSc) required
- Nursing Specialty Certification preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Analytical ability to collect information from diverse sources, apply professional principles in performing various analyses and summarize the information and data in order to solve problems.
- Ability to utilize comprehensive computer and database skills to streamline work and communicate to other team members.
- Analytical ability to resolve complex problems requiring use of basic scientific, mathematical, or technical principles and in-depth, experience-based knowledge.
- Ability to be articulate in both oral and written communications.
- Ability to independently prioritize and respond to multiple simultaneous requests.
- Able to apply previous learnings to similar cases using critical thinking skills.
- Knowledge of statistics, data collection, analysis and data presentation.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Has the ability to organize and work within a team environment; unite resources from multiple disciplines.
- Keyboarding skills.
- Proficient skills in Microsoft programs.
- Prior electronic health/medical records (EHR/EMR) experience.
- Previous experience attending and hosting virtual meetings.