Title: Principal Software Engineer
Location: United States
As a Principal Engineer on the Pearson/MZD team you will be responsible for creating high quality applications that will reach organizations around the world. You will be a key team member helping to deliver a next generation global assessment platform. You will work with the engineers, UX designers and product owners to develop ground-breaking assessment experiences. The ideal candidate is self-sufficient and a strong team player who is curious and loves solving challenging problems.
Location: REMOTE – US
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Work with product and technology teams to innovate and evolve Pearson’s Assessment platform.
- Drive design and implementation decisions using principles and best practices. Make decisions that move the architecture forward; create best practices and patterns.
- Work collaboratively with other technology teams within Pearson leveraging solutions where appropriate.
- Mentor senior engineers and technical leads to make sound technical decisions and help build effective engineering practices. Build POCs where appropriate and turn POCs into production ready code.
- Participate in architecture, code, security and operational reviews.
- Drive a culture of technical excellence and continuous improvement. Identify and introduce new technologies and patterns that elevate the platform.
- Be the go-to expert for technical solutions for various development teams.
- Computer Science degree with (Masters or above preferred) with 7- 10 years in software industry.
- Significant experience in building platforms requiring, high-scale, high-availability, performance and resilience.
- Prior experience selecting purpose driven database technologies, driven by use-cases and hands on operational expertise.
- Prior experience building platforms for the education industry.
- Proven experience architecting for the cloud with consideration for security and cost-effectiveness, preferably hand-on with AWS.
- Ability to navigate through different layers of the architecture with proficiency, in order to troubleshoot and find the root cause for an issue.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality SaaS products that serve millions of people.
- Proficient in designing modular architectures with good separation of concerns and data-modeling principles.
- Proficient in designing solutions that generate and leverage data to personalize the platform.