Following the end of hostilities against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS), the return of millions of
Iraqis is threatened by the lack of livelihoods, widespread destruction and the presence of uncleared debris,
heavy damage to critical public infrastructure and destroyed shelter. The situation is further complicated by a
fluid and complex security environment.
The Transition and Recovery Division (TRD) within IOM Iraq works to remove the initial obstacles to Internally
Displaced Persons (IDPs) return in Iraq’s post-conflict areas and lay the foundation for longer-term recovery,
economic development, and reconstruction in general.
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the overall supervision of the Head, Transition and
Recovery Division (TRD), the administrative supervision of the Head of Sub Office (HoSO) and the direct
supervision of the Senior Operations Coordinator in coordination with the thematic units in IOM Iraq, the
successful candidate will be based in Basra and will supervise the unit in managing, implementing, and
coordinating transition and recovery activities in the Area of Responsibility (AoR) South.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Ensure proper planning and timely implementation of all activities within the area of responsibility,
including planning, implementation, follow-up, and troubleshooting.
- Coordinate with thematic teams to include community-based approaches in all phases of activities,
with focus on women engagement in livelihood activities.
- Provide guidance and training for the field teams on operational tasks
- Coordinate with thematic teams to provide comprehensive mapping of the national stakeholders,
including local authority, civil society organizations, influential social figures, active groups
particularly women groups, etc.
- Utilize monitoring mechanisms to assess the impact and coverage of activities and the progress
made against implementation plans and internal Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) indicators in
- Represent TRD and, where applicable, IOM at regional-level coordination forums related to the
area of responsibility, creating partnerships with key organizations, agencies, and governmental
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female
candidates are especially encouraged, as well as the internal and external candidates are eligible to
apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, the internal candidates are considered as
partners to ensure good coordination, information sharing, joint planning, and government
- Supervise all staff and contractors within the area of responsibility, including both field and
- Ensure the implementation of activities according to agreed methodologies in coordination with the
- Ensure information sharing, coordination, and communication within the team and with other
teams and management.
- Establish clear demarcation of TRD’s technical, operational, and project-support functions to ensure
that all programmatic components within the area of responsibility work as a cohesive unit.
- Provide strategic orientation to the work of TRD in the area of responsibility and ensure response
to unfolding return and recovery trends, integrating new approaches and procedures as required,
specifically with a focus on environment and climate change.
- Where possible, lead the establishment of new IOM field operations.
- Where possible and in close coordination with management, liaise with donors in order to show
progress of activities, gaps, lessons learned etc.
- Work closely with other teams / management to provide timely reporting, information, audio/visual
media, etc., related to project activities.
- Prepare project development proposals and donor mapping frameworks.
- In coordination with relevant units and in line with the regulations and policy of IOM, ensure proper
adherence to human resource, procurement, finance, and all other policies of IOM for projects
implemented in the area of responsibility.
- Undertake duty travel as required, for project site review and other duties of concern to the projects.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Master’s degree in Humanitarian Affairs, International Relations, Development Studies, Political
Science, or a related field from an accredited academic university or institution with five years of
relevant professional experience, or bachelor’s degree in the above-mentioned fields with seven years
of relevant professional experience.
Experience and Skills:
Experience (including field experience) in managing construction and rehabilitation projects,
and/or recovery interventions in post-conflict or post-disaster context.
Experience in managing several types of community-based projects.
Experience in interventions aimed at supporting area-based community recovery.
Experience in liaising with government authorities, other national/international technical
counterparts and NGOs and building effective partnerships.
Previous working experience in Iraq or the Middle East and Northern Africa region is advantageous.
Willing to travel within the country as required.
Proven ability to supervise, coach, and direct staff and manage operations in transitional contexts.
Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
Work prioritization and ability to multitask.
Shares knowledge and experience.
Positive, constructive attitude.
Ability to work and act under pressure with discretion in politically sensitive environment with a
minimum of comfort.
Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
Ready to work independently, under tight deadlines.
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment with a positive attitude.
Highest standards of integrity, discretion, and loyalty.
Strives for supportive working environment and positive working relationship.
Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment, retaliation, and promotes the prevention of
sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this link:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only
shortlisted candidates will be contacted.