Position Title: Programme Support Officer
Duty Station: Maputo, Mozambique
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 22 November 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros;Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of Head of Programmes & Operations and in close coordination with the Programme Support Coordinator, Programme Managers and Head of Sub-Offices, the successful candidate will be contributing to project development and programme support activities of IOM programmes specific to Mozambique and as part of the Programme Support Unit (PSU) team.
The Programme Support Officer will be a technical focal point for the missions’ project development activities and support other tasks of the PSU in line with the needs of programs and senior leadership and in line with the specific donors’ requirements.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Maintain up-to-date information and knowledge of all programme implementation in Mozambique CO by updating and tracking activities in relevant information management systems and databases.
- Provide guidance and support on the design and development of new programmes/projects that are aligned to IOM as well as donor priorities and requirements through the IOM Project Information and Management Application (PRIMA).
- Support the mission’s project development and reporting capacity by providing training and technical inputs.
- Liaise with the Resources Management Officers and Programme Managers to check thatIOM’s financial standards and requirements are observed in project development and reporting matters.
- Support the drafting of interim and final reports for donors, including liaising with RegionalOffice in Pretoria and Donor Relations Division at Headquarters (HQ), and facilitate the timely submission of project reports in compliance with existing project agreements.
- Coordinate and support operational and administrative aspects of Programme Support Unit(PSU).
- Participate in the research of potential funding sources among government and non-government donors in line with IOM’s overall strategy in the country.
- Compile, analyze and draft portions of strategic documents necessary for project development, and in close coordination with the Chief of Mission, Head of Programmes and Operations and Programme Managers, liaise with donor counterparts to exchange information regarding programme and project possibilities and funding requirements.
- Coordinate and provide technical inputs for monitoring activities to facilitate the production and dissemination of data in relation to implementation challenges, potential solutions and the timely delivery of activities and services within the designated timeframe.
- Undertake travel duties as needed.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Law, Social Sciences, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience working on issues such as migration, displacement, and humanitarian assistance.
• Experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-governmental or governmental institutions/organizations in a multi-cultural setting;
• Experience working on project development processes;
• Working experience on development programmes; and,
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and international donors.
• Ability to communicate effectively (orally and in writing) with a wide range of stakeholders, providing presentations and participating to the meetings;
• Proven diplomatic skills, and proven expertise in implementing complex, highly participatory projects with a demonstrated ability to work effectively with counterpart, government institutions, personnel, and donors; and,
• Ability to facilitate project development processes from conceptualization up to activation stage, including through the IOM PRIMA application.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Portuguese, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 22 November 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 09.11.2021 to 22.11.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 276 Programme Support Officer (P2) Maputo, Mozambique (57254604) Released
Posting: Posting NC57254605 (57254605) Released