Position Title: Project Development & Reporting Officer
Duty Station: Aden, Yemen
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 15 November 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros;Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCoM), Sana’a, the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator (PSU) and in coordination with the Programmes Managers, Heads of Offices, Senior Resources Management Officer, and relevant Heads of Units, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing, coordinating and ensuring the implementation of the Programme Support Unit (PSU) related activities of the Unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide advice and expert technical support to the mission in Yemen for the design and development of new programmes/projects based on solid results framework responding to emerging trends and priorities, in coordination with the PSU, Deputy/Chief of Mission, Regional Office, Headquarters Programme Managers, as well as with Government counterparts and other relevant public/private sector’s partner organizations.
- Ensure all unit staff maintain up-to-date knowledge of all projects and programmes implemented by IOM Yemen.
- Manage the operational, administrative and financial reporting aspects of all ongoing projects, including maintaining oversight of projects implementation, in coordination with the RM units as required. Liaise between IOM financial officials and programme managers to ensure that the latter are observant of IOM and Donors’ financial requirements.
- Substantively contribute to the development of IOM Yemen annual consolidated appeal, external reporting on emergency response and engagement with United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) on the Humanitarian Needs Overview/Humanitarian Response Plan.
- Identify, train and supervise reporting and project development staff in thematic units, placing emphasis on the development of new team members and training on humanitarian systems and donor protocols.
- Coordinate with Programme Coordinators, Deputy/Chief of Mission and senior management and prepare and/or advise on the preparation of regular progress reports to be submitted to the donors, partners and IOM Headquarters.
- Undertake duty travel with the aim of project/programme assessment, liaison with counterparts and donors, problem solving and the development of new initiatives, as required.
- Deputize for the Programme Coordinator (PSU) during occasional absences.
- Respond to inquiries from Headquarters and network of IOM regional offices.
- Substantively contribute to the process of establishing functional governmental and non-governmental relevant platforms to raise awareness on issues relevant to IOM’s mandate and Yemen, to promote project/programme related activities, as well as to strengthen existing referral structures and/or assistance mechanisms.
- Take action to resolve issues or challenges with project implementation, and advise on program or financial issues which require Deputy/Chief of Mission intervention.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in coordinating with managing various programme units and ability to establish and maintain working relations with government counterparts, UN agencies;
• Experience in the field of Migration or Development, preferably in a post conflict and other hardship locations; and,
• Experience in Project design, management, implementation and reporting.
• Demonstrated high level government and donor liaison; and,
• Strong understanding of the UN and IOM Rules Regulations and practices are advantageous.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French, and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 15 November 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 09.11.2021 to 15.11.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2021 269 Project Development & Reporting Officer (P3) Aden, Yemen (57255951) Released
Posting: Posting NC57255952 (57255952) Released