I. Position Information
Labour Mobility & Human Development
Reports directly to
Head of Labour Mobility & Human Development
Overall supervision by
Chief of Mission
II. Organizational Context and Scope
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading UN Migration Agency, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
The proportion of foreign workers in the employed population in Gulf countries is among the highest in the world with an average of 70.4 %, and account for over 10% of all migrants globally. To support safe and regular labour migration to the region, IOM works closely with Governments and other stakeholders to strengthen labour-related processes and policies that ultimately benefit foreign workers, Governments, employers, recruitment agencies, and other actors.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) of IOM-Bahrain and the direct supervision of the Head of Labour Mobility & Human Development (LHD), the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for coordinating relevant programmatic activities under the LHD Unit in IOM-Bahrain, focusing largely on promoting ethical recruitment, enhanced labour mobility and decent work for all. The successful candidate will be based in IOM-Bahrain, with frequent travel to Saudi Arabia.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Monitor and updated an internal workplan detailing requirements, process and updates relating to the implementation of LHD-related activities under Phase II of IOM’s project ‘*Strengthening Mechanisms to Combat Human Trafficking in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’*.
- Coordinate the delivery of all LHD-related activities in Saudi Arabia, in collaboration with the Head of LHD of IOM-Bahrain, monitoring implementation and raising issues with the Head of LHD in order to identify solutions in a timely way.
- Support the Government of Saudi Arabia in the development and validation of Standard Operating Procedures for national labour inspectors to identify situations of non-compliance with labour regulations.
- Oversee the development of a minimum standards guideline for housing of migrant workers run by private recruitment agencies, based on assessments and full coordination with Governments.
- Organize a capacity-building workshop for officials nominated by the Government of Saudi Arabia on international best practices and standards related to bilateral labour agreements.
- Monitor closely all developments of labour reforms in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, including conducting analysis and reviews to understand impact.
- Support the Head of LHD of IOM-Bahrain and the Senior Regional Thematic Specialist for LHD to identify opportunities to further enhance the LHD portfolio, providing inputs for a sub-regional strategy for the Gulf, project proposals as well as identifying possible partners.
- Undertake travel on authorized duty (TDYs) as required.
- Perform such other duties that may be assigned.
IV. Required Qualifications and Experience
· Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations and/or Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience; or
· University degree in the above fields with five years of relevant professional experience.
· Demonstrated experience in the thematic area relevant to labour migration;
· Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
· Knowledge or experience of regional issues an advantage; and
· Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation.
For this position, fluency in English and Arabic is required (oral and written)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2*
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
· Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
· Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
· Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
 ILO, Labour Migration, Available at: https://www.ilo.org/beirut/areasofwork/labour-migration/lang–en/index.htm
How to apply
VII. Application Details
The cover letter along with the applicant’s CV should be submitted to IOM Bahrain (email@example.com) on or before November 30th 2021. Please write “Application to Project Officer Vacancy” in the subject of your application email. Applications received after this date will not be considered. Successful applicants will be invited for interviews before final selection.