Senior Director, Communications
Los Angeles, California, United States
Built around our mission, we started Athletic Greens more than a decade ago as a way to bring comprehensive and convenient daily nutrition to just about everybody. Originators of the Essentialist Nutrition movement, our philosophy is to focus on a very small number of products based on what the latest science indicates is essential to human health.
AG1 is made from the highest quality ingredients, in accordance with the strictest standards and obsessively improved based on the latest science. 75 vitamins, minerals, and whole-food sourced nutrients in one convenient daily serving. Optimized for athletes, life-letes, and everyone in between. Vegan, Paleo, and Keto-friendly. One scoop or travel packet, 8 ounces of water. Every day. That’s it.
Our mission is to empower people to take ownership of their health.
We are looking for an experienced, entrepreneurial and collaborative communications leader who is passionate about helping a rapidly-growing health & wellness company effectively tell its story to various audiences spanning financial & consumer media, partners, potential and current employees. This remote-role (we’re a fully remote company since inception) sits on the Marketing team and reports to the Chief Marketing Officer, with cross-functional support to the CEO and executive leadership team, the Brand organization, the People Ops team and more. The Senior Director, Communications will be responsible for financial and consumer media communications, corporate communications (internal, leadership) and for driving the company narrative around strategic topic areas (nutrition science, corporate giving, sustainability). In this role, the Senior Director, Communications will be responsible for all internal and external communications at Athletic Greens, providing strategic communications counsel to the executive leadership team, engaging a passionate and quickly growing employee base and shaping & protecting the Athletic Greens brand to help build a generational health and wellness company. This role is equal parts storytelling and community building – the ideal candidate will have exceptional communication, organizational, and collaborative skills.As the senior leader for the growing Communications function, this role is a huge growth opportunity for an experienced communications professional to build a program and help drive the trajectory of the overall business. Success within this role will enable a passionate and driven candidate to grow as an executive, build a team and manage a growing and critical function.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Build the communications function at Athletic Greens, securing the appropriate resources to grow the function and build the required capabilities and team. Lead a growing communications organization inclusive of internal and external communications.
- Aligning with our Brand Team, build the Athletic Greens brand within the financial and consumer media spaces by executing an innovative content strategy that educates and excites media while advancing the Athletic Greens narrative. Work very closely with our Brand leaders to amplify ongoing activities, lead from the front with effective communications and effectively leverage media to drive awareness and cultural cache.
- Manage and empower the thought leadership platform for key executive leaders, including our Founder/CEO, both internally and externally. Build capabilities to grow executives’ public persona and secure strategic opportunities (podcast bookings, media interviews, speaking opportunities, bylines, social postings, etc).
- Build and execute a corporate & consumer affairs strategy that can successfully promote and – when needed – defend the Athletic Greens company, brand and line of products within the marketplace and against competitive forces. Line up resources spanning partners, advisors and available research to amplify AG messaging through media and other sources.
- Serve as a credible, respected and influential spokesperson for Athletic Greens, using your voice to shape how others see the company.
- Manage an external communications apparatus spanning PR agencies, communications advisors and other partners.
- Build fruitful relationships with key media and other influential stakeholders to ensure accurate representation in media coverage and clear communication of our story.
- Work with geographic leads to drive local communications and media approach in key geos (UK, DACH, China, etc) to further the company’s reputation & business goals.
- Build the infrastructure to support employee communications and knowledge sharing, developing best practices for sharing company news, updates and wins.
- Working with our People Team, develop a content strategy that engages the workforce by telling authentic Athletic Greens employee stories, highlighting the internal culture and promoting Athletic Greens as an employer of choice.
- Own internal communications, working with key stakeholders to keep the Athletic Greens team informed and excited about company news & progress, including assisting with drafting updates from key executives to the organization as a whole, while creating opportunities for the employee voice to shine and influence company-wide decisions.
- Empower your employee base to be ambassadors for Athletic Greens, enabling them to easily and succinctly spread the word about company news and hiring.
- Provide leadership for company events and publications, ensuring execution is crisp & seamless while advancing company objectives.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- 8-12 years of experience in corporate communications, public relations or public affairs, culminating in leadership roles that drive the strategy and execution of integrated communications.
- Sharp strategic thinking that analyzes the relationship between our communications and the broader strategic goals of the business, ability to formulate and defend a position in conversation with CEO and executive leadership team.
- Deep experience working with consumer companies and building a corporate communications function. You can clearly build a strategy based on a company’s business performance, operations and key strategic advantages to highlight what will drive strategic and positive coverage in the market.
- Executive communications experience and proven track record of bolstering public profile of executives via targeted interviews, speaking opportunities and presentations. Proven experience coaching and preparing executives to be effective company representatives in media, inclusive of media training, coaching, consistent feedback and ETL platform development.
- Experience handling media-led issues and responding with strategies that are favorable and/or protective of brand, inclusive of crisis communications experience. Proven experience in public and corporate affairs in a plus.
- Maintains professional, respected relationships with editors of influential publications.
- Proven ability to connect with executives and employees alike and earn their trust. Demonstrated history of working with C-level executives to shape and expand their thought leadership platform and advance company objectives through communications.
- Experience steering successful employee engagement communications strategies to keep employees informed and excited about the business, while creating valuable feedback loops for employees to share their experiences.
- Strong executive presence with proven ability to introduce and achieve buy-in for bold ideas, backed by top-notch communications and presentation skills.
- Innate understanding of broader shifts in the political and social landscapes, and how that can affect and shape a company’s ability to achieve its internal and external business objectives.
- Self-starter able to learn and operate quickly and effectively in a decentralized organization.
- Strong attention to detail and a proven ability to manage multiple work streams at once.
- Extremely strong interpersonal, written communication, influencing and organizational skills.
- A fully-realized passion for life and people!
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- A 100% remote working environment, which has been implemented from day one.
- A strong company culture that is enforced through the hiring process ensures values alignment and a highly collaborative team.
- 90% premium coverage for top medical, dental and vision plans.
- A mission-driven approach to each and everything that we do, with an overall goal to significantly improve our customer’s health and wellness.
- Paid maternity and paternity leave.
- Top of the market salary and performance incentive structure with “blue sky” upside potential.
- Strong equity compensation package.
- A monthly fitness class credit to support you on your health and fitness journey.
- Annual company-wide retreats and quarterly department-wide meet-ups (COVID permitting).
- A 401k plan with company-matching because life is an opportunity and we care about your future.
- Paid holidays and an unlimited vacation policy to ensure you have a healthy work-life balance.
- The opportunity to work with passionate, high-growth, business-minded colleagues who bring their all to the Athletic Greens mission each and every day.
- A brand new company laptop and a generous home-office budget so you can work your best.