CONTRACT TYPE AND DURATION
Eligibility: Syrian Nationals or Syrian/Palestinian Nationals or candidates who have a work permit and residency in Syria.
Type of Contract: Fixed Term, Level G7
Contract Duration : 12 Months
Duty Station: Deir Ezzor
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and
children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at
school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
The positions will be solely responsible for all technical and ICT activities including planning, organization, coordination and setting objectives. The position will be dealing with issues that are often undefined and involve areas of uncertainty and complex inter-relationships. The instructions received are broad and the job holders are expected to consistently demonstrate a high degree of personal responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries.
The incumbent will have a level of IT expertise and knowledge to adapt and develop standard systems and processes in order to continually improve the level of support provided.
The candidate must have the ability to work in a multicultural environment respecting diversity and acting as a role model, contributing to a respectful and conducive work place environment and observance of WFP values: “Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity and Inclusion.”
The positions is required to lead Information Technology maintenance and support activities to enablethe effective delivery of IT services at the Field office , extending some services to other UN agencies at the duty station . This Job will be based in WFP Deir Ez Zour Field Office, Reporting to the Head of the Field Office with technical guidance from both WFP IT unit in Damascus and the ETC Cluster in Damascus.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to field office strategy and objectives, providing high technical guidance and IT solutions, tailored made , keeping in mind the complexity of the operation at the Field office.
- Contribute and ensure objectives are met in compliance with all relevant regulations, policies and ITC standard operating procedures.
- Support the development and implementation of plans for the delivery of a full range of IT services and improvements to methods and processes in order to meet operational requirements.
- Provide training and advice to clients and end users of IT services, understand and resolve issues and ensure IT policies, procedures, systems and tools are correctly applied to assist WFP/UN staff in conducting their work.
- Coordinate the collation of a range of complex data, conduct data analysis, including the impactof changes, and support the development of accurate reports in order to identify and recommend solutions.
- Perform oversight and maintain systems and hardware to ensure technology is running effectively for WFP/UN staff and that inventory is well managed and controls are in place.
- Develop and deploy a variety of documentation and equipment for use by WFP/UN staff to ensurestaff have access to the required IT services and products.
- Manage the implementation of new standard applications in order to provide WFP/UN staff with the tools they need to perform effectively.
- Collaborate and make contr ibutions to groups in IT service delivery and other staff to understand needs and support the development of integrated IT support services
- Provide support to users, log and analyse all requests for support in accordance with standardprocesses, to support staff to deliver their service
- Follow set emergency response processes and procedures as required to provide support in enabling emergency food assistance needs to be met.
- Communicate & provide regular feed back and report clearly on current IT bottlenecks. Propose and coordinate interim solutions to the end users.
- Hold information sessions to end users to train them on optimal utilization of limited resources
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Experience: Minimum 6 years of post-secondary school relevant working experience.
Language: Fluency (level C) in in oral and written communication in Arabic and in English.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL
- Has participated in development of IT governance processes.
- Has gained additional exposure building relat ionships with the business counterparts on key ITinitiatives.
- Has experience project managing small country level IT initiatives.
- Has coached, trained and mentored junior staff on building their technical capabilities.
- International exposure or working with an International company or organization an added value
Essential: Strong interpersonal relations skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment respecting diversity and be a role model, contributing to a respectful and conducive work place environment and observance of WFP values:”Integrity,Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity and Inclusion
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in your Work Experience:
- Company/Organization name and scope of work of the organization
- Exact Position Title and grade (If UN, state exact grade and level)
- Contract type: part-time, full-time, volunteer, consultant, or freelancer. (If UN, state exact contract modality)
- Start and End date of Employment for each position: From (dd/mm/yyyy) to (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Responsibilities: Main responsibilities that highlight your gained skills and experience
- Proof of your work experience will be required in the final stage of recruitment.
- Only short-listed candidates will be invited to the next stage of the selection process.
- Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
- Follow the links below to submit your application. If the link does not work, copy and paste it in your browser address bar.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.