Software Engineer – Full-Stack
Location: San Francisco or New York or Remote US
Figma is growing our team of passionate people on a mission to make design accessible to all. Born on the Web, Figma helps entire product teams brainstorm, create, test, and ship better designs, together. From great products to long-lasting companies, we believe that nothing great is made alone come make with us!
As a full-stack engineer at Figma, you will design, build, and test new features for users of Figma’s suite of design products. You’ll find yourself working across our Ruby backend, React/Redux/Typescript frontend, or even diving into technical surfaces like our C++ Editor codebase, or our realtime and multiplayer services.
You will work closely with your team’s product, design, research, and data partners to co-create and execute on the roadmap for your team. As an active Figmate, you will help influence product and design direction through instrumenting experiments, owning product improvements, and leading larger feature initiatives. At Figma, we really value what it means to be a maker – we have a Maker Week several times a year, where experimental projects can become fully-launched features!
This is a full time role that can be held from one of our US hubs or remotely in the United States.
What you’ll do at Figma:
- Collaborate with designers, PMs, and other engineers to plan features and build a high quality product that enable people of all backgrounds to engage with the design process.
- Improve Figma’s performance and reliability by building new features or polishing existing parts of the product.
- Be a mentor and provide thoughtful feedback to your peers, and benefit from strong personal and professional mentorship opportunity yourself.
- Build strong personal connections with your teammates and help shape Figma’s culture.
Some projects you could work on:
- Version control and review workflows for design files with full support for branching, conflict resolution, and comments to enable large organizations to collaborate effectively.
- A discovery feed in Figma Community, with a custom ranking algorithm and user-specific content to help grow and support the global design community.
- Tools to engage qualitative research and in-product experiments to build empathy for users and help their teams successfully adopt Figma and FigJam.
- The layout engines in the editor with interactive components and variants.
- Our accessibility strategy, which includes improvements to the Figma UI (contrast, keyboard navigability, etc.) as well as tools to help people generate accessible content as they do their own work.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- At least 2+ years working as a professional software engineer.
- Experience building web applications and enjoy engaging with product & design while working across both the frontend and backend stack.
- Proactive communication skills and a desire to work in a collaborative environment.
- An interest in learning from others and digging into new challenges.
- An inclusive and collaborative attitude towards building features, solving problems, and growing teams.
At Figma, one of our values is Grow as you go. We believe in hiring smart, curious people who are excited to learn and develop their skills. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the points outlined in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Read more about our team
- Investing in Figma: The Decade of Design
- How work is changing at Figma
- Figma’s next product is a multiplayer whiteboard called FigJam
- Software Design Startup Figma Is Now Worth $10 Billion
We will work to ensure individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let your recruiter know if you require accommodation.
Dylan Field and Evan Wallace co-founded Figma in 2012 with the vision of building tools for designers in the browser. Their goal was to create the first design tool that combined the accessibility of the Web with the functionality of a native app. Today Figma is a platform with tools and spaces to support the entire product development process idea to design to build and has simplified collaboration for companies like Microsoft, Uber, and The New York Times to name a few.
At Figma, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, products, and community to flourish. Figma is an equal opportunity workplace we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.