Supervisor Hospital Coding Outpatient
time type: Full time
job requisition id: R21808
Department: 10460 WI Revenue Cycle – Hospital Coding Administration
Status: Full time
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Hours Per Week: 40
Oversees day to day operational workflow and processes for hospital and home health coding. This position oversees a team of coders including managing work queues, prioritizing accounts to be coded, implementing strategies and making real-time adjustments based on account acuity and volume. Handles human resources responsibilities for staff including coaching and evaluations. This positions also manages software applications and hardware requirements for the coding staff. Serves as an expert resource for hospital related health information outpatient coding and Ambulatory Patient Categories. Identifies opportunities to improve coding and data abstracting accuracy and practices. Establishes work assignments and training of coding staff. Acts as a liaison between coding and other entities of the organization such as the quality team, patient accounts and Information Services.
- Monitors daily work queues to ensure timely coding of outpatient accounts across multiple hospital sites. Plans and implement strategies to achieve or exceeds the expected target DNFC goals. Makes real time adjustments to work assignment based on account acuity and volume.
- Tracks and provides feedback to the coding team regarding coder productivity. Manages PTO requests, work schedules, performance evaluations, and timecards for the coding team. Recommends to Coding Manager when additional working hours are needed (cross state coverage, overtime, contracted coding etc).
- Serves as liaison between area of responsibility and other groups within Advocate Aurora Healthcare such as patient access, quality and denials management. Works with Health Information Technology to implement and test computer updates. Ensures timely, compliant and efficient processes exist to process records through the outpatient coding and abstracting function. Assists in ensuring coding compliance with federal, state and/or other regulatory agencies, research cases, government payers and other selected third party payers.
- Manages the software applications and hardware requirements. Provides first line assistance for system users and coordinates communications internally. Reports any software issues to appropriate IT personnel for resolution. Tracks issues to resolution, providing support for hardware and software problem resolution.
- Identifies any technology learning needs for the coding team which includes verification of coder competency for all software applications utilized including 3M360, Epic, Allegra, Cardone, Care Connection, and Advocate Works.
- Performs human resources responsibilities for staff which includes coaching on performance, completes performance reviews and overall staff morale. Recommends hiring, compensation changes, promotions, corrective action decisions, and terminations.
- Responsible for understanding and adhering to the organization’s Code of Ethical Conduct and for ensuring that personal actions, and the actions of employees supervised, comply with the policies, regulations and laws applicable to the organization’s business.
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
- Coding Specialist (CCS) certification issued by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), or
- Health Information Administrator (RHIA) registration issued by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), or
- Health Information Technician (RHIT) registration issued by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), or
- Associate’s Degree in Health Information Management or related field.
- Typically requires 3 years of experience in integrated acute care hospital coding.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Demonstrated leadership skills and abilities including organization, prioritization, project management, delegation, team building, customer service, and conflict resolution.
- Demonstrates knowledge of National Council on Compensation Insurance, Inc. (NCCI) edits, and local and national coverage decisions.
- Expert knowledge and experience in ICD-10-CM and CPT coding systems, G-codes, HCPCS codes, Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) modifiers and Ambulatory Patient Categories (APC).
- Knowledge and understanding of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, pathophysiology (disease process, surgical terminology and pharmacology.)
- Advanced knowledge of pharmacology indications for drug usage and related adverse reactions.
- Expert knowledge of coding work flow and optimization of technology including how to navigate in the electronic health information record and in health information management and billing systems.
- Intermediate computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office or similar applications.
- Excellent communication and reading comprehension skills.
- Demonstrated analytical aptitude, with a high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to take initiative and work collaboratively with others.
- Experience with remote work force operations required.
- Strong sense of ethics.
Advocate Aurora Health is one of the 10th largest not-for-profit, integrated health systems in the U.S. with nearly 3 million patients served at more than 500 sites of care in Illinois and Wisconsin, including 28 hospitals. We’re redefining the standard for care with world-class doctors and caregivers, innovative solutions, outstanding outcomes, and leading-edge research and clinical trials. Combined, Advocate and Aurora are recognized for clinical excellence in a variety of specialties. Advocate Aurora Health is one of the 10th largest not-for-profit, integrated health systems in the U.S. with nearly 3 million patients served at more than 500 sites of care in Illinois and Wisconsin, including 28 hospitals. We’re redefining the standard for care with world-class doctors and caregivers, innovative solutions, outstanding outcomes, and leading-edge research and clinical trials. Combined, Advocate and Aurora are recognized for clinical excellence in a variety of specialties.