Location: US Locations; 100% Remote; Freelance
BookNook is closing the early-learning gap for kids in grades K – 8 through pairing dedicated tutors with proven technology to teach the reading and math skills kids need to succeed. School districts across 35 states entrust BookNook tutors and technology with the job of supporting their students who need it most. By providing a learning platform based on 30+ years of research and outcomes and offering high-frequency tutoring, BookNook propels schools to achieve academic results that are unparalleled in the industry.
About the Role
BookNook is looking for passionate, equity-minded educators to join our tutoring community as independent contractors. Tutors will be on the front lines of closing the early-learning gap, working directly with K – 8 students in live, synchronous, online tutoring sessions. These lessons are conducted virtually via video-conferencing software. Tutors will be on camera with the student(s).
We value diversity of all kinds and seek to build a team of tutors that is representative of the students we serve.
As a BookNook tutor, you will teach reading or math online to groups of 1 – 4 students. You will use BookNook’s learning platform and curriculum, which guide you through lessons and show student performance in real-time. You will meet consistently with the same students each week so you can build relationships that support student learning and development. This position is remote and can work from anywhere #LI-Remote.
Who are you?
You are passionate about working with all kinds of learners. You love seeing a child’s eyes light up when they master a new concept. You’re skilled at tailoring your teaching to different learning styles and needs. Every child feels your joy as you see it as a privilege to be able to show up and be present in the lives of your students.
You excel at building meaningful connections with students from diverse racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds.You value the cultural assets, knowledge, and lived experiences that each child brings to tutoring sessions. You make learning meaningful by connecting it to students’ lives.
You approach challenges with a growth mindset. Whether it’s a tech issue or a student struggling to master academic content, you are creative, resourceful, flexible, and resilient in the face of obstacles, setbacks, and unexpected events.
You are an engaging and dynamic teacher. You know just what to do when students look away from the screen or indicate that they are bored, stuck, or disengaged from the lesson. You have multiple tricks up your sleeve that can re-engage even the most reluctant learners.
You empower students to build on their strengths.You see the brilliance in every child, enjoy celebrating their progress and commit to supporting them through both challenges and successes.
You are tech-savvy.You may not be the head of IT, but technology is your friend. You quickly find workarounds when faced with glitches, and aren’t daunted by simultaneously navigating Zoom, our learning platform, and multiple students with different learning needs.
You’re inspired by BookNook’s mission and purpose. You believe in the power of innovative technology and an engaging curriculum combined with the personalized touch of a dedicated tutor.
What we’re looking for:
- Educators with a passion for working with K – 8 students from diverse educational, racial, economic, geographic, and cultural backgrounds
- Experience teaching or tutoring – we welcome experienced educators as well as those just getting started. All tutors must meet at least one of these minimum requirements: 3+ years teaching or tutoring OR 1 year teaching or tutoring and a bachelor’s degree OR 1 year teaching or tutoring and current enrollment in a teaching credential program
- Enthusiasm for teaching reading and/or math
- Comfort and experience tutoring online and using technology
- All tutors must be a current US Citizen or Permanent Resident with eligibility to work in the U.S. We are unable to consider individuals that would require sponsorship for a U.S. work visa
- Location: Remote
- Competitive pay rate: For this role, the pay is $18/hour plus potential program by program bonuses. All tutors are independent contractors and responsible for their own self-employment tax filings with the IRS. You will be provided a 1099 at the end of the calendar year.
- Schedule: Each tutoring contract will offer a consistent weekly schedule and students; contracts are seasonal and available year-round
- Curriculum: A proven technology platform that guides you through lessons and shows student performance in real-time
Our Application Process:
- Application Process: The application questions are set up to allow us to get to know you, match your specific qualifications against the qualifications for the role, and allow us to understand our Tutor community better.
- Initial Application Review: We review these questions against our minimum requirements for a Tutor, and you will hear from us within 5 business days of us receiving your application.
- Interview Process: We conduct interviews through Error! Hyperlink reference not valid., a one-way video interview platform. We like using this instead of typical 1:1 video interviews, to allow you to: prepare by having time to think about our questions, do the interview on your own time schedule, and showcase your skills through a brief teaching demonstration.
- Final Decisions: After your Spark Hire video interview is submitted, we will review your interview and you will receive notification of our hiring decision within 5 business days.
- Being Placed as a Tutor: We are currently building our Tutor community and piloting Tutor engagements in school districts around the country. Placements will be limited starting in March 2022 but will continue to grow throughout the year. Being selected as a BookNook Online Tutor does not guarantee immediate or consistent tutoring work, but you will be able to opt into Tutoring placements regularly as we grow.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.