Are you interested in humanitarian work, international development, disaster response and project management?
Do you have good administrative, analytical and communication skills, and are you ready to move to Niger and get an insight into Danish Red Cross’ international work?
If yes, then you might be our new Project Support Intern.
The Danish Red Cross (DRC) Country Office for Niger is placed in Niamey at Niger Red Cross Society’s headquarter. We are a team of four people at the delegation, and with close contacts to the other Red Cross Delegations that have their offices in the same building. The DRC Country Team contributes to the implementation of DRC’s International Strategy and on a daily basis works closely with Niger Red Cross Society (NRC) on planning, designing, executing and monitoring longer term development projects as well as response projects in Niger.
The Country Team provides guidance and advice to NRC project staff and makes sure the projects are in line with overall strategies as well as Red Cross principles. Fundraising and writing proposals for new project funding is also part of our work. Our operations focus on emergency response, preparedness, resilience building, youth, psychosocial support and migration. The position will be based in Niamey and no outside travel is envisaged due to the security situation. The confirmation of this internship is dependent on the evolving security context in Niger.
The Project Support Intern will support the work of the DRC Niger Delegation with a special focus on reporting, developing new projects, and communications.
This will include
- Drafting of reports and project-related documents such as budgets for the different DRC projects with NRC, in French and English
- Send your CV and a cover letter, in English, by 30 November 2021.If you wish to know more, please contact Country Manager Jo-Lind Roberts-Sene on e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research, summarizing and write-up for the formulation of new projects according to relevant templates and guidelines
- Contribution to the elaboration of communication tools and presentation documents on DRC projects
- Development of articles and case stories for DRC website and social networks
- Support data collection and development of tools to share learning from projects and activities in a digestible manner
- Monitor news from the Sahel region
- Support file handling system and the organization and recording of meetings
You will receive ongoing supervision and support by the Country Manager, and support from the DRC team in Niger.
We expect you to be able to take initiative, work independently, be action driven and effective. You are resourceful, interested in humanitarian and development work and want to be part of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. We also expect you to be willing to engage and to be flexible, as the daily life in Niger is rarely predicable. It is an advantage if you have previous experience working in an international humanitarian organisation.
The professional and academic background needed for the internships are:
- Enrollment in relevant university education,
- Knowledge of humanitarian and development work
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience from working, studying or living abroad
- Fluency in both English and French is a necessity
- Knowledge of Danish is an advantage
- Can provide an intern agreement with a university
- Knowledge of the Red Cross Movement is an advantage
As a person, you are result oriented with a cultural sensitivity. You have an ability to both listen and facilitate dialogues with a flexible approach, adapting your way of working depending on the culture and capacities.
As an intern with the Danish Red Cross in Africa, you will get a chance to gain first-hand experience of what it is like to work for the world’s largest humanitarian organization. You will get to work alongside humanitarian professionals in a dynamic office. The internship will provide you with an opportunity to apply what you have learned during your studies in a challenging and inspiring setting.
The internship begins ideally in February 2022 and ends in July 2022 (flexible) running for approximately 6 months. The internship is unpaid and you have to pay for your travel to and from Niger. However, accommodation, insurance and medical expenses are covered by the Danish Red Cross. Before arriving at the internship, you will have a briefing at the Danish Red Cross Headquarters in Denmark or remotely.
How to apply
Please follow the link to apply: Red Cross – Project Support Intern for the Danish Red Cross Niger Country Office (easycruit.com)