Pearson Online Academy – Secondary Social Studies Teacher (Term of Project), 2022-2023 School Year
Job Category: Teaching
Requisition Number: PEARS014508
- Home-based, USA
Pearson Online Academy is an accredited, online private school serving students in grades K–12 throughout the United States and abroad. Recognizing individualized instruction as the key to student academic and personal success, Pearson Online Academy’s highly trained, certified teachers offer instruction tailored to each student’s strengths and challenges using an award-winning computer-based curriculum, real-time instruction, and time-tested course materials from leading publishers.
Pearson Online Academy strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of the people we serve. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
This position is working with Pearson Online Academy. From your home office, certified Pearson Online Academy teachers will “virtually” integrate state-of-the-art instructional tools and curriculum to engage and instruct while individualizing lesson plans and instruction to each student’s needs. Through the use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes their instructional program.
The Secondary English Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Complete all grading, create progress reports and conduct parent conferences in a timely manner;
- Support the instructional program with asynchronous web conferencing sessions and synchronous instruction;
- Review curriculum and devise alternate approaches to presenting lessons to increase student understanding (working directly with students and parents);
- Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update Personal Learning Plans and schedules, score assessments, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion of assignments and coach special projects;
- Work collaboratively with other teachers to ensure that all students are successfully progressing through the program, that parents have a central point of contact, and that tasks are distributed among the teachers;
- Develop a general knowledge of the entire program’s K-12 curriculum and a very detailed knowledge of the courses for which responsible;
- Support students and parents with alternate strategies and provide additional assistance with daily assignments and projects;
- Communicate regularly with parents, students, and curriculum specialists through use of computer and telephone;
- Keep student records and data up-to-date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and logging all student and parent contacts;
- Consult with other teachers and staff learning specialists to develop alternate enrichment activities and modifications to students’ programs to increase student understanding;
- Devise and implement virtual methods of creating and maintaining a “school community”; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Based on potential student enrollment changes, this position will work until the end of each semester of the 2022-2023 school year. At that time, the school and department leadership will evaluate the status of this position and could extend it for the following enrollment period or school year if they deem it necessary. Full time positions are eligible for most employee benefits, including medical, dental and vision.
- Highly qualified and certified to teach Secondary Social Studies grades 6-12 in any state
- Completed Advanced Placement training desired
- Previous online teaching experience is a plus
- Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft OS and MS Office programs)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Customer focused approach
- High degree of flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
- Team player track record
- Availability to work a consistent daily schedule Monday thru Friday; 8 hours daily during peak student hours per school requirements.
- Ability to work some occasional evening hours, as needed to support some families
- Masters Degree preferred
Note: The anticipated starting salary for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position begins at $36,000 per year. Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at https://www.hrc-connectionsacademy.com/prospective-employee-benefits-page.html.