The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In 2020, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to fight hunger globally, including its work during the coronavirus pandemic.
In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
CONTRACT TYPE & DURATION
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract – G6
Duration: 12 months
Duty Station: Aleppo
Number of required employees: 1
These jobs are found in the Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs) and Headquarters (HQ). Job holders at this level demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of security support staff. These jobs may require to report for duty on short notice.
The job is to perform tasks related to the implementation and assessment of security measures and maintenance of equipment with a view towards providing updates and recommendations to facilitate informed decision-making and secure WFP staff, facilities and operations.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The incumbent will work in the security unit of Aleppo Field Office in collaboration with other units. He reports to the Field Security Officer (FSO). He works under close guidance and follows established standards security procedures.
The job purpose is to monitor the security situation in the WFP premises and in the Area of Responsibilities, to make sure that every security procedures and protocols are up-to-date and correctly implemented, and to advise the FSO and Head of Field Office.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
• Review the local security situation on a daily basis through local media and other sources and advise/brief the supervisor/Field Security Officer (FSO) on trends and situation that could affect WFP operations on a short or medium-term basis;
• Ensure full information is received and/or provided when starting/finishing daily period of duty;
• Support the supervisor/FSO in investigations, incident reports and security assessment locally or individually as requested;
• Maintain the Security Plan up-to-date, including updating lists of staff, and eligible family members; ensure that fire safety arrangements, plans for fire/building evacuation, relocation/evacuation of staff to the safe haven are updated and efficiently implemented;
• Maintain Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) for equipment; assist in developing and implementing MOSS and ensuring that all WFP offices are compliant;
• Supervise daily security activities; carry out continuous checks of security personnel attendance, performance of duties and quality of services;
• Report any deficiencies or issues in the services and recommend possible improvements;
• Assign duties to security personnel in the procedures to be followed during emergencies;
• Identify training needs and ensure that all security staff have completed and updated knowledge of security procedures and instructions;
• Be responsible for other security equipment issued to security staff and keep updated inventory lists/database;
• Manage the Security database regarding daily activities, incidents, etc., including statistics and reporting; provide reports upon request with thorough analysis as required;
• Respond to personnel and telephone enquiries and provide appropriate information;
• Liaise as necessary with the local administration, police authorities, fire services and other emergency services;
• Perform other related duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Experience: 5 years of work experience in the field of security. The incumbent must have gained sound knowledge of security operations technical processes. He/She must have provided technical guidance and training to staff members within area of expertise, and supported research and collation of data which feeds into reports that inform security operations activities.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Specialised knowledge of the application of practical methods, techniques, procedures and systems used in security, typically gained through technical training and work experience.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of security logistics, security administration, risk assessment and co-ordination with local authorities and local law enforcement agencies.
- Training and experience in fire and related intervention/evacuation procedures.
- Ability to manage emergency situations and remain calm.
- Attention to detail and constant vigilance in order to promptly detect any breach in security measures.
- Ability to interpret information, use judgement and inform supervisors of any incidents which might impact the UNWFP staff and operations.
- Excellent communication skills in order to maintain frequent correspondence with both, internal staff and external authorities with regards to security advisories and security incidents.
Languages: Fluency in both oral and written communication in Arabic and English.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in terms of “Experience”:
- Company/Organization name and scope of work of the organization
- Exact Position Title
- Contract type: part-time, full-time, volunteer, consultant, or freelancer
- Start and End date of Employment for each position: From (dd/mm/yyyy) to (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Responsibilities: To mention the main responsibilities that highlight your gained skills and experience
- A proof of your experience will be required in the final stage of recruitment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next stage of the selection process.
Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
How to apply
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Please ensure that your VPN is connected before clicking on the link below.